Friday, January 7, 2011

Revelations

Despite the dread of coming back to Waco that I experienced exactly one week ago, this past week has flown by. Once I was actually on my way back, the sick feeling of saying goodbye subsided and I resigned myself to the fact that it would probably be at least four months before I am back home. Although I expected that this first week back would be pretty rough, it was actually fairly enjoyable.

Additionally, I had three revelations this week.

(1) I LOVE law school. I left the school about 3pm this afternoon, armed with a 1-inch stack of papers that need to be read and processed in preparation for a 12-page memorandum (a very specific type of legal paper) about defamation. And what was I thinking"Gee, I'm so excited to write this paper - I think defamation will actually be interesting!!" What kind of nerd have I become?? :) I like to think it had something to do with the stack of papers - something about walking out with that huge stack of cases made me feel like a real lawyer.
I also experienced this revelation on Monday (of all days), while I was sitting in Contracts class (and I despised Contracts last quarter!). I was sitting there thinking, "Man, I really do enjoy this!!" (Though I still have not changed my mind about writing contracts.)

I think this fresh outlook on life stems from the Christmas break. Having two weeks off has made a huge difference in my energy level and my mental sanity. It was so wonderful to resurface and be able to breathe again, even if for a very short period of time. And, in four more weeks, this quarter will be over, and word on the street is that next quarter is the easiest one so far (thank goodness!).

(2) I am not cut out for the Texas climate. This entire week has been in the mid-60s, and while it is nice to be able to leave the heat off, I still can't convince myself that it's not January when I'm not even wearing a coat. Today when I got home, it was warmer outside than it was in my apartment, so I ended up sitting out on the patio while doing homework...in January. I have decided that a slightly more northern climate is more desirable for my permanent home. :)

(3) Running is so therapeutic...and I adore it. After Thanksgiving, I took five weeks and did a "Kick-Back Plan" to give my body some rest time. When the plan started easing me back into running, I found it difficult to motivate myself to get out and go. It was so frustrating...I do enjoy it when I'm out there, I just have to fight all the excuses I so brilliantly devise!! However, this week was different. Not only did I want to go run, but while I was running, I felt wonderful. I enjoyed every minute, and it didn't even feel that difficult. It's such a wonderful time to get out, stop reading, and clear my head. Thank goodness for the ability to run!

Well, those are all of my thoughts for now. I am currently curled up with a peppermint steamer while listening to Michael Buble (my recent favorite). Such a wonderful end to a Friday evening spent working on homework!!

No comments:

Post a Comment