Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Weekend Away

Last Thursday, both of my classes were cancelled. With a four-day weekend, a road trip was in order.



So on Thursday morning, AnnaGrace and I headed down to Austin. We were able to find two really good hotel deals on Hotels.com - one at the four-star Sheraton downtown!



We spent the majority of our time visiting thrift shops and used bookstores, with a few vintage shops thrown in as well.

One of my favorite bookstores was Blue Awning Books. It's a little bookshop owned by an older couple. They were super friendly when we came in, and all of their books are catalogued!! So, if you're looking for something specific, they can look it up for you. They also sell books online, so you can check them out from anywhere! :)

I was able to find two more presidential biographies for my collection, plus this interesting-looking find on the dollar rack:


Another great bookstore was Recycled Reads. It supports the Austin Public Library, and all books (except some collectible ones) are $2 for hardbacks and $1 for paperbacks. While there, I walked around the corner and saw this cookbook:


I may have gasped because I was so excited. :)

While I was ecstatic over books, AnnaGrace was drooling over old photographs:



In addition to shopping, we also checked out a couple local restaurants. On Friday night, we ate at Kerbey Lane Cafe. Their pancake special of the day was cinnamon roll. Oh. My. Goodness. It was the best pancake I have ever had. I need to find (or create) a recipe for this ASAP.




Lunch on Saturday was at The Steeping Room. The Buddha Bowl was fantastic - and seems like it might be easy to recreate!



 We rounded out the trip by shopping at The Domain, a huge upscale shopping center on the north side of Austin before heading home. It was a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment