Sunday, September 19, 2010

Seeking Balance

Sorry for the long delay in posting – this past week was one of the longest of my life. Our air conditioning was out for about 4 ½ days, which through wrenches into more than half of the days this past week. Things like this sure make you realize how good you had it during college when all you had to do was write the maintenance request on the dorm bulletin board. Thankfully, one of my classes was cancelled all week, so I had extra time to deal with the situation. Additionally, my landlord was very attentive and helpful in getting the problem solved. :)

However, with that crisis averted, things have returned to a fairly normal pace around here. On Friday night, the Christian Legal Society had dinner at Assistant Dean Creed’s house. And guess what – she is adopting a little boy from Ethiopia!! It was interesting to hear how she picked Ethiopia and what the adoption process was like. It feels like another lifetime that I was getting on the airplane to come back home, and counting the number of foreign couples that were taking Ethiopian babies with them.

The rest of the weekend has been spent on homework, and trying to achieve some sort of balance in my life. I have my homework done, but I always feel as if it is never enough. I guess the professors’ warnings that we should be studying 19-20 hours a day have started seeping into my subconscious, even though I tell myself that I am NOT interested in that kind of lifestyle. In college, I didn’t want to spend my entire life in a practice room; nor do I now want to spend my entire life with my nose in a law book. However, my Type-A personality is making it very difficult to put the books aside and let myself do something fun.

Speaking of fun things…we went to the first half of Baylor’s “Community Hymn Sing” tonight. There was a 600 voice choir and a full orchestra – and it revived my desire to play music. I have started craving it, but this weekend it has peaked as a full-on crisis. I managed to pull my clarinet out for 20 minutes today, and I’m already dying to do that again. My goal for this: find a piano!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment