Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cirque de la Symphonie

This post is nearly two weeks late...I'm having a little trouble getting caught up after my week in the caves. :) But, better late than never...

My attempts to keep my sanity during exam week included an evening out to the Waco Symphony. Once I get my grades back, I'll know whether that was a smart idea, but there was no way I was missing this concert. The title of the program was "Cirque de la Symphonie." It incorporated classical music plus acrobats, and it was AMAZING!! I have never seen acrobats live, and it truly was incredible. Of course, I also appreciated the wonderful music as the backdrop. :)

The music selection was almost like a Pops concert...a "Favorites of Classical Music," if you will. Some of the highlights included the fourth movement of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade" (a fantastic piece, if you've never heard it), Khachaturian's Valse from Masquerade, and Tchaikovsky's Valse from Swan Lake, No. 2. Also on the program was the "Harry Potter Symphonic Suite," by John Williams, which you should also listen to if you have never heard it. Overall, it was a lovely evening...getting dressed up, taking my nose out of the law books, and hearing beautiful music - what's not to love??

If there is ever a similar program in your area, GO!!! The acrobatics are amazing, and it was neat to see a mesh of classical and "pop" culture. See, us classical music buffs aren't snobs! :)

Oh, and PS - my assigned seat is an aisle - PERFECT! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment