Sunday, May 29, 2011

Nameless (Creative Juices = Non-existent)

My favorite by-the-pool drink (which is much easier to create in a Vitamix!!):

Favorite Frappuchino

12 coffee ice cubes
1/4 cup milk (add more as necessary)
1 Tbsp. peppermint syrup
1 Tbsp. sugar (more to taste)
Chocolate syrup, to taste

Combine all ingredients in blender. Enjoy!

I've started cold brewing coffee, not only to make iced coffee drinks, but also for my coffee ice cubes. I just recently purchased a french press, which has made it tons easier!! However, you can also use an old yogurt container. Just put 1/2 cup coffee grounds in the bottom, and fill the container with water. My coffee maker has a reusable filter, so I just pour the mixture through that into my cup.

Well, that's all for Thursday - besides laying out by the pool and going on a group run, I can't remember what we did! :(

On Friday, I went to Rockwall for the day because my aunt was having surgery. I hung out at the house with Ross, before heading to the hospital in the afternoon.


 
And now for the first edition of "Saturday Sweets"!!!! I decided to send AnnaGrace's "Birthday Week" out with a bang by making another cake. Plus, she was torn between red velvet and chocolate for her actual birthday, so I decided to give her the best of both worlds by making a red velvet cake!!! I've never made one from scratch, and it is delicious!!! The recipe is from The Tolerant Vegan. Hurray for cream cheese frosting without dairy!!! (And yes, it does still taste good!)

I learned a couple tips of cake baking along the way:

1. I didn't have a wire rack on which to cool the cake, so I just turned it out onto another baking sheet. However, I failed to grease the baking sheet. Hence, the ripped top. Thank goodness I was able to cover it up with the frosting!!


2. Read instructions more carefully. I accidentally got mixed up. I didn't realize I was supposed to keep the wet and dry ingredients separate. Thus, I didn't put the red food coloring in with only the wet ingredients. I think that's why it didn't turn out quite as red as I would have liked.

3. Cakes are hard to frost - especially when the frosting is drippy!! I need some more practice...


4. The frosting was unbelievably sweet!!! I modified it to the following:

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup Earth Balance (or butter), room temperature
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
3 cups confectioners' sugar - Next time I make this, I will cut it down to 2 cups, and then add more as necessary.

I also splashed a little soymilk in to thin the frosting. If I had added the additional cream cheese first, I probably would not have had to add the milk. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix for about a minute. Super easy and SOOO delicious!

And last, but certainly not least:

Sparkler candles are the bomb-diggity!!!!!!!!! :)

Surprise!
See??


No comments:

Post a Comment