Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cars = A Necessary Evil

Gertrude (my car - name courtesy of Rachel and Ashleigh) has been so good to me over the past 4 years. When you have a good car, it's very easy to take for granted that it will start every morning when you go to leave for school.

And then one morning it doesn't.

Thankfully, it's merely the battery, and (hopefully!) not something more serious. My first wake-up call was on Friday morning when I got stuck at the gym because it wouldn't start. Thankfully there was an old man sitting in his car in the parking lot, and he was able to give me a jump.

That was an interesting experience - he accidentally crossed the wires (note to self: don't allow someone to have a conversation while hooking up the car batteries!!). I had always thought that cars blew up when that happened. I am thankful to report that this did NOT occur on Friday morning. Is it bad that while MaryLou was concerned about the old man killing himself, all I could think was, "Please don't hurt my car!!!!"???

Notes to self: (1) Buy jumper cables. After needing them twice in two weeks, it's time to stop putting that off. (2) Learn how to jump a car so you can do it yourself. Apparently it's not that difficult. (3) Sometimes being "independent" and living 24 hours from home isn't as glamorous as it's chalked up to be. Like when your car needs work and your dad isn't around to take care of it. :(

Yesterday, I had Auto Zone check the battery, and it is indeed bad. Thankfully, it's still under warranty, so I should get the replacement free!! The only unfortunate part about that is that it's under warranty at Costco, and the closest one is in Fort Worth. I was hoping to squeak by until Thursday when I can head that way...but alas, Gertrude failed to start this morning. And, Costco doesn't install batteries. While part of me is tempted to try and learn, I don't think now is the time to do so. I need my car to continue working for a long time (or at least 2 more years until I have a paycheck).

Plan B: Get it replaced here in Waco, take the old battery to Costco on Thursday, and get cash for it. Fingers crossed that this plan works without too many further complications. :)

In other news, I had another almost disaster last week. I somehow managed to lose my condo key in between the time I locked my door and the time I got to my car. It fell off the key ring, and who knows where it went - probably in the grass, but I don't have a metal detector or magnet to know for sure. :)

The good news is, I already had all of my stuff for the day, and was able to get MaryLou's key while at school to make a copy.

So, two "disasters" in one week that actually happened in the best possible manner so as to cause only the slightest inconvenience. It's times like this when I know the Lord is looking out for me...and boy, do I need it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment