Thursday, February 9, 2012

Breath of Fresh Air


I am happy to report that another set of exams has come and gone. I am now 5/9 done with law school! Or, in other words, 2/3 of 2/3 done. J

This last round of finals was the most enjoyable yet (though the jury is still out on whether it was successful). Mom and grandma came down and spent the entire week cooking for me and the eight or so others that joined us every night. It was wonderful not to have to think about what I was going to eat – and I definitely ate better than I would have otherwise. I also now have a freezer that is busting at its seams with all the food they left me. J

Last quarter, I was able to schedule my exams so that I had my last one on Tuesday. This gave me five full days before the new quarter started. On Wednesday morning, I had to take mom and grandma to the airport. They accidentally booked flights out of two different airports, so I got to visit both Dallas airports within the space of about 30 minutes! J Then I headed up to the McKinney area to have lunch with Joy and Joel. The last stop of the day was Denton, where I stayed until Saturday. I got a haircut, went to Mellow Mushroom, and slept in until 11:30am on Thursday morning. It was glorious. It also gave me a nice change of scenery and breathed new life into my routine. When I came back, I was ready to start the new quarter and plug away – I can’t wait to be 2/3 of the way done!

Here are my classes for the quarter: Family Law, Employment Relations, Remedies, Constitutional Law, and Personal Injury Trial Law. To be honest, I have no interest in personal injury law – I just signed up for it because I’ve heard it’s an easy class (I know, shame on me).

Interestingly enough, I’ve never even thought of practicing employment law (nor about the subject matter), but I think I’m really going to like the class. Currently, we’re talking about how to define the employment relationship (independent contractor or employee – it’s harder than it sounds), and the ramifications of at-will employment. Maybe this doesn’t excite you, but I think it’s fascinating – especially when you take the law and you apply to real-life situations and see how it works. Unfortunately, the outcome doesn’t always line up with what seems fair.

Another pleasant surprise relates to family law. I’ve always thought family law would be the worst field in which to practice – I’ve always thought of family law as synonymous for “messy divorces” – and really, who wants to be involved in the ending of a marriage?

In other good news (it’s been such a long time since I wrote such a happy post, hasn’t it? J), I have an interview at the Texas Supreme Court. I am SO EXCITED – and this is the understatement of the month (or maybe the year, since we’re not that far into it…). After talking with a lawyer back home over Christmas break, I decided I would see if I could work for a judge this summer – and where better than a supreme court? Plus, of all the cities in Texas, Austin has got to be the best. The city has tons of outdoor parks, trails, and lakes, plus the headquarters of Whole Foods.

Well, that’s all for now…I’m off to read the John Adams biography I began many months ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment