Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Beginning of the End

It's hard to believe that I'm getting ready to start my last year of law school! I cannot tell you how I much I cannot wait for May 4, 2013. :) Unfortunately, I have a huge hurdle to pass before I get there: Practice Court.

When I first visited Baylor, I thought Practice Court sounded like a great idea. Since I wanted to be a litigator, practicing a trial from beginning to end would be perfect! Two years later, it sounds like just about the worst idea ever. :)

Organizing eight 3-inch binders of reading material
Here are some of the stories about this heinous PC class: (1) students consistently getting four hours of sleep because there is so much homework; (2) readings assigned in inches, not pages; (3) having to write a memo if you don't answer satisfactorily; (4) eating frozen meals 3x a day because there is no time to cook; and (5) looking/feeling like death.

In the spring, I was terrified of this class. (I know, I was panicking well before I need to do so.) Thankfully, the summer has given me some space, time to process, and a determination NOT to spend this whole quarter miserable and over-worked. I began mulling over things that I would not give up, and what boundaries I would set for myself. And, as a good law student, I decided a contract with myself was in order. :)


Since you can't read the above text without super vision, here is a copy of the language in my contract:


I, Katelyn Ridenour, by the grace and mercy of God, promise to do the following:
1.     I will work as unto the Lord, not unto man.
 Colossians 3:23 – And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men. 2.     Devote time to my Beloved
 Romans 8:35 – Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? Ephesians 3:18-19 – To know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 3.     Sleep – at minimum 7 hours per night, and also as my body, mind, and spirit require
 Psalm 3:5 – I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. 4.     Refuse to succumb to the fears and lies of the enemy
 Hebrews 13:6 – So we may boldly say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” 5.     Work out—for my physical health, as well as my emotional and mental stability
 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – For do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have from God and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore, glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. 6.     Smile every day
 Proverbs 17:22 – A merry heart does good like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones. 7.     Spread the light of Christ. And when others ask me, have boldness to speak the truth in love, and give a reason for the hope that lies within me.
 Matthew 5:16 – In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. 1 Peter 3:15 – But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear. 8.     Find three things for which to be thankful every day
 Psalm 7:17 – I will give thanks to the Lord because of His righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. 9.     Do everything without whining or complaining
 Philippians 2:14 – Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life.
I'm not going to lie - this past week has been more of a struggle than I thought it would be. There are times when I can feel the panic sweeping over me, and I feel powerless to do anything to stop it. Those are the moments when I remind myself that the Lord is on my side - what can man do to me? (Psalm 56:4). 

As I start on Monday, I covet your prayers in three ways: (1) that I will feel a sense of peace about this quarter; (2) that I will have the physical, mental, and emotional energy to get through the next 10 weeks (counting down to the last day of class - Halloween!); and (3) that others would see a difference in me, and that I would have the boldness to proclaim Christ when they ask. My prayer is that I will be very obviously different - and that I can bring the light of Christ to one of the darkest places I know.

Thanks in advance! Be sure to check back for periodic updates about the craziness. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment