Saturday, September 22, 2012

One More Week Down

At the end of each week, I feel like the previous weekend was a whole lifetime ago. Ironically, the week itself doesn't feel that long when I'm in the middle of it, something for which I can be thankful!!

This week was shortened by a day, due to a trial observation in Dallas on Friday. And a short week was much needed after 3 memos on Tuesday and 5 on Thursday. Yes, all from our PC II professor. Some days, he's just on a warpath, and there's nothing you can do except recognize that he's being unreasonable and try not to scream the curse words that are collecting in your brain.

Yes, I'm ashamed to say that I was screaming curse words in my head during class on Tuesday. It was not pretty. But, on to more pleasant things...

On Wednesday, I attended an actual trial to watch a witness being examined. In addition to our reading homework, we are required to complete three trial observations over the course of the Fall and Winter quarters: (1) a witness examination; (2) voir dire (jury selection); and (3) closing arguments. I decided that since life isn't too terribly busy right now, I would go ahead and get one out of the way. It was actually really encouraging to see how much I have already learned. While I never want to be in court, seeing real attorneys do it made me realize that I will be capable of litigating when I get out if the need ever arises (and I hope it doesn't).

The highlight of my week was getting to take a trip to Dallas. I forget how therapeutic it is to have a change of scenery every once in a while. On Friday, the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers hosted a full day of trial training. We were able to sign up in advance, and it counts as a "wild card" for our trial observations.

So on Thursday after class, I headed up to Dallas to stay with a friend who lives downtown. She is amazing, and I always come away from visits with her so refreshed! We had dinner at Central Market (hurray for sushi!), and then had pumpkin scones and coffee at her house.

She has a cat, and I am SOOO jealous!! Isn't he adorable?!?!? The best part was Friday morning when he wanted to be fed, so he let us hold him and purred.


After the program on Friday, my parents came downtown and took me out to dinner at the Spaghetti Warehouse. They were wonderful and let me talk their ears off about everything that's been happening at school for the past four weeks.

Well, that's about all...I've spent the whole day in pajamas doing homework. I was utterly exhausted last night, so I needed a lazy day. And what better way to celebrate the first day of fall?!? Now if the weather would just cool down... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment