Thursday, December 6, 2012

God is Good.

This saying is so cliche, but I don't intend it to be that way.

Stop.

Think about those three words.

I've realized recently that deep down, I have trouble believing those words. I am afraid that if I want something too badly, the Lord won't give it to me. Or that if I make plans, He will take them away. For example, I don't want to talk or put in writing that what I really want to do is move to Colorado next year, because I'm afraid the Lord will put in the middle of downtown Dallas. And I hate downtown Dallas.

This attitude is blatant mistrust in the Lord's provision and care. How many times has He blessed me beyond measure? And yet I'm still reluctant to give Him every last bit of myself, afraid that He'll laugh maniacally as He yanks my dreams away.

A couple weeks ago, I read this in Redeeming Law: "As students, then, we should recognize God's hands in...our geographical limitations and desires..."

It hit me - the Lord has placed the desire in my heart to live somewhere cold. Maybe He will grant that desire, and maybe He won't. But if He doesn't, I can trust that He will plant me where I need to be. He will change my heart, and He will bring good out of wherever I live. I can also trust that He's not going to stick me someplace where I'll be miserable, just to play tricks on me.

Then this morning, I got this verse in my inbox:

Luke 11:13 - "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

Wow.

I love finding that perfect gift for somebody I care about. If I, an imperfect sinner, know how to give gifts, how much more does God, who is perfect?

So revel in those three little words. Meditate on them. Don't just recite them. Because those are powerful words.

No comments:

Post a Comment