Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cookie Dough for Breakfast

First off, I have a confession to make.

I skipped church this morning. On purpose.

Last Sunday while sitting in yet another church, I realized that I only had two Sundays left in Waco until August.

HALLELUJAH!

Finding a church has been by far the most difficult aspect of my move, and I'm still not quite sure what I want to do. When I find a church where I like the sermons, I don't like the music, and vice versa. I loathe church-hopping, and after 9 months of bouncing around, I'm sick of it.

This morning, I just couldn't drag myself to another church, and I just plain didn't feel like going at all. 
So, I just didn't go. 
Instead, I decided to look up an online sermon from my church back home. The sermon that I picked was entitled, "Exploitation, Envy, and Ego," and was exactly what God has been teaching in my own quiet time over the past couple days. Coincidence? I think not.

The other odd thing I did this week was eat cookie dough for breakfast. Well, not straight cookie dough. It was in oatmeal! Although there was a time in my life when I swore I would never eat oatmeal again, I think I have become addicted. Since I've started following blogs, I have found so many different ways to cook oatmeal. Here are just a few:

1) Apple Oatmeal (this one is my own - I guess I should put the recipe up!)




Can you see the chunk of cookie dough? YUM!

Actually, all of these are from Oh She Glows. :)

One of the most interesting ways to make oatmeal is "overnight." This is a great way to continue eating oatmeal even after the weather gets hot (as it already has in TX!). I base my food choices on the temperature outside - if it's cold, soup, oatmeal, and hot chocolate are on my list of top cravings. If, on the other hand, it's hot outside, smoothies, salads, and ice cream are on the menu.

To make overnight oats, you combine your ingredients in a bowl, and put it in the fridge. In the morning - Voila! Oatmeal in a jiffy. I eat it cold, though I'm sure you could heat it up if you wanted.

 In other news, our brief is done!!!! Now, the waiting period for the grade begins...I didn't realize how stressed I was about the paper until after we turned it in. I was never worried about getting it in on time, but the mere fact that it's worth 50% of the class grade is enough to make anyone stress out about every little detail.
Yesterday I did lots of cleaning. I powered through the piles of papers on my desk, the heap of clothes on my floor, and three loads of laundry. Ahh...it feels so good to be surrounded by clean once again!

I also finished checking off my Bearathon training plan - another successful training/race goal checked off!


I haven't picked a new training plan quite yet. I have done lots of biking over the past two weeks, but have been taking it easy to give my body a chance to recover. My next goal is to run a fast 5K over the summer. I'm hoping to do a time trial next weekend and then start a training plan the following Monday.

 I also may have a new hobby - gardening! I have been wanting to get some flowers to hang on our porch. However, I have a very minimalist view towards gardening. I want something that flowers, is evergreen, and comes back every year. Unfortunately, that's basically impossible to find (high maintenance much?). :) So, instead I went with herbs - pretty and useful! Right now I have lemon thyme (anyone have any good recipes in which I could use this??) and mint (for Peppermint Patty Green Monsters!)

Photography thanks to MaryLou. :)

Last night was Waffle Night in "The Promised Land." (Our friend's nickname for our condo.) :) 
Lindy made waffles, Bri brought strawberries and made homemade whipped cream, and MaryLou and I provided the orange juice and bacon. It was scrumptious! We also had a great time chatting and watching Lindy's "Corn Trilogy."


Well, that's all for now...I'm off to make an iced coffee and start on some work!

No comments:

Post a Comment