Sunday, November 18, 2012

Week 1

The first week of this quarter was a night and day difference from last quarter. Despite the fact that there were two last-minute (aka notice the day before) afternoon sessions for PC 3, only having it for an hour in the mornings makes a HUGE difference. Not to mention being able to take classes that I am actually interested in.

I love love love Administration of Estates. We spent all last week talking about representing fiduciaries (trustees, executors of wills, guardians). So it's not at all about writing wills, but it ties in with the subject matter. Plus, it's just great to be reading the Trust Code instead of the Rules of Civil Procedure. :)

I got called on in Products Liability the very first day of class. Probably because I sat on the front row (I love being near the front!). After PC, getting called on in that class was a breeze. The cases are super short, the concepts are very concrete and elements-based, and the cases are interesting. I guess that makes me sound kind of sick - but the ways in which people get hurt lead for some very interesting stories...unless it involves children choking on blocks. Those are never cool.

Real Estate Finance so far is kind of boring (reading through statutes - blegh). But we're going to walk through a real estate transaction during the quarter. So once we get past the initial "what do brokers and real estate agents do?" portion, I think it will become a lot more interesting. On the first day of class, one of the professors said that real estate law is like flying a plane - you have a bunch of checklists, and as long as you go through each one, you'll be fine. My thought was, "I love checklists!" Sounds like my firm description might have just gone from "Wills and Trusts" to "Wills, Trusts, and Real Estate." :)

The capper of the week was the Baylor football game last night. Everyone expected that we were going to be crushed by Kansas State (the #1 team in the nation). By some miracle, though, we beat them 54-24. It was a very exciting game, with Baylor scoring within the first 5 minutes of the game, and just continually building on its lead.

I hope your weekend has been lovely! I've done very little work. Thankfully, it's a short week! Only three days of class until Thanksgiving!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment