Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grace Under Fire

I am now two-thirds of the way done with orientation, and only three days from the start of classes (AHHH!!!). Although I am scared for classes to start, I am SUPER excited about being here at Baylor. Every one of the faculty and staff we met over the past two days seem so caring and supportive.

Here are some of the things on my "fav list":

1. Open-Door Policy. The faculty encourage you to seek them out and ask questions, even if it is not during office hours. Associate Dean Jackson even said we can walk right in to her office if the door is open! She also said that when we hit the "wall" of panic that is inevitable during the first quarter, not to give up, but to find someone with whom to talk about it.

2. We have TWO wireless networks, PLUS a wired network in our building!

3. There is free coffee all the time in the student lounge, and during exam week the Student Bar Association serves breakfast and lunch (free!). (Well, it's included in the fees, so it only feels free). Guess that means I'll be living at school during exams...

The saying, “The first year of law school they scare you to death,” definitely applied yesterday. I don’t think I have ever been as scared as I was last night when I walked out of orientation. However, Psalm 27:1 has become my new favorite verse:

"The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?"

My title comes from a lecture that our Civil Procedure professor gave today. He was giving us the "Characteristics of a Great Lawyer.” One of the eleven qualities on his list was being “steady” (aka - calm). He also defined it as “Grace under fire.” I hope that I can exemplify this characteristic, not only in my legal career, but also in my day-to-day life. May I, like Paul, be able to say that, "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect." (1 Corinthians 15:10)

Thanks to everyone who has been texting/calling/sending me Bible verses! I greatly appreciate all the support, and I apologize that I have not been able to talk as long as I have wanted! Here's hoping I can get caught up this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment