Sunday, August 29, 2010

One Week Down...

Well, I managed to survive my first week of law school, and the rollercoaster of a weekend that followed. Overall, the week was not as bad as I expected, though I am still scared to death of my Civil Procedure professor! If our cell phone goes off even once, we will fail the class. Even though I have been turning my phone off AND leaving it in my locker, I still get panicky about halfway through class, afraid that somehow it has ended up being turned on and back in my purse. :)

The week was rolling along well, and my weekend was looking like I was going to actually have time to run some errands…until 9:15am on Friday morning (aka the beginning of Civil Procedure). The story starts Thursday morning, when one of my classmates showed up 15 minutes late, despite the warning that if we are even half a second late to class we will be thrown out. Needless to say, she didn’t make it past the door. However, on Friday morning, the professor decided to teach the entire class a very painful life lesson. After making her explain the reason why she was late, the professor proceeded to assign everyone else a 5-6 page double-spaced paper on the various consequences that courts have imposed when attorneys are late. While the subject matter was quite fascinating at times, I spent 5+ hours working on the paper yesterday. And those errands I was going to run? Yeah, they got didn't happen…

After a crummy Friday, however, Saturday was wonderful!! About 11am, one of my friends unexpectedly showed up at my door to give me a hug. About two hours later, my aunt and uncle brought me a couch. Accompanying them was my adorable 14-month-old cousin (pictured below).




We had a wonderful visit, and they even carried the couch up the stairs for me!! The living room is now full of furniture – all that needs to be done is put up decorations!





Today was the bottom of the rollercoaster…church this morning was again a bust. Instead of a sermon, the church had “Couch Talk” in which the staff gave overviews of the ministries in which the church is involved. I Although it was informative, I thought this would be better suited to a new member's class. However, I will say that I am very impressed with the many ways that the church is reaching out into the community. Ultimately, though, I thought that the "fluffiness" of the service was inappropriate for a Sunday morning. I knew that the church was not traditional, but this was by far the most contemporary church I have ever attended.

As I walked out of church, I found myself dealing with the first feelings of homesickness I have felt so far. I have never been comfortable with new situations, and I feel so alone, even at school when I am surrounded by multitudes of people. After hearing 10 people talk about how they are going to structure their outlines, what furniture they bought, or wondering where the nearest bar is, I crave conversations with my friends. On Sunday mornings, I miss my church, and wonder if I will ever find another place to call home. I know I sound ridiculous – it’s only been a couple of weeks, but the feelings of homesickness that I never felt during college are taking their toll…

However, there is a silver lining. I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that Baylor Law School in Waco, Texas, is EXACTLY where God wants me to be, at least for the time being. So although it won’t always be pleasant, I can rest in knowing that He has me here for a purpose, and He will always be with me.

On that note, my theme song for this week is “Moment Made for Worshipping” by Steven Curtis Chapman.

No comments:

Post a Comment