Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Eating My Words

I have a remarkable way of saying things that I end up having to eat later. *sigh* Maybe one of these days I will learn to stop making overly broad generalizations - although not likely in the near future. :)

For years, I have disliked Valentine's Day. Now, before I go any further, I am sure some of you are thinking, "Well, that's obviously because it's depressing to be single, and she's never had a boyfriend." Let me assure you that this is not the reason I harbor dislike for this "holiday." And, although this may come across defensive in printed word, I assure you that I am quite calm, and not the least bit defensive. In fact, one of the reasons I dislike Valentine's Day is the way that so many single girls treat it as a "Woe-is-me" type of holiday, by wearing black, calling it "Single's Awareness Day," etc. Seriously, there is no reason to get so over-dramatic about such an inconsequential holiday.

In contrast, I also despise how many girls with boyfriends act as if the world is going to end if they don't get flowers, chocolate, or a nice dinner out. Of course, this reaction is not confined to Valentine's Day, but somehow I find it more prevalent this time of year. Even after I have a boyfriend, I will not judge whether he loves me by whether he comes in with a dozen over-priced roses on February 14th. No, no, I have much higher expectations - he should buy flowers on a random day just because. ;)



Okay, I will get off my soapbox now and get to the real point of this post. :) Several weeks ago, Bri (one of my new law school friends) said that we needed to have a "Girl's Night" for Valentine's Day. I was hesitant at first - "I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. It's a commercialized, inconsequential holiday." However, after receiving assurances that this was a "celebration of sisterly love and friendship," and not a pity-party, I reluctantly agreed to participate.

So last night Bri, Sara, and Laura Kate came over for a chick flick and loads of chocolate. The menu included: molten chocolate lava cakes, dinosaur cookies, chocolate-covered strawberries, and peanut butter hot chocolate. After having trouble deciding on a proper chick flick, we went with the classic, "You've Got Mail" (if there is one thing that five girls can agree on, it's that movie). It was a lovely evening. Although we ended up talking through a majority of the movie, we made sure to quiet down for the most important parts - aka, the witty banter and the ending. :)

This gathering, in addition to a wonderful card from AnnaGrace, made my Valentine's Day quite enjoyable. So, my heart of ice might just be melting a little bit...maybe it's not such a bad holiday after all. :)


Spring Break Countdown: 17 DAYS

No comments:

Post a Comment