Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fresh Start

Alright, so here is the happy follow-up to my wretchedly sad post from yesterday, as promised, complete with pictures! First, a movie review:

"How Do You Know"

I am a big fan of Reese Witherspoon, and have been wanting to see this movie since before Christmas. Unfortunately, I was disappointed - even though I was in the mood for a chick flick. Since I've never written a movie review before, I'm going to break this down into a list of pros and cons. I always do bad news first, so here goes...


Cons
  • Owen Wilson's character was positively revolting. A total jerk, completely dense, and extremely narcissistic (or at least, my impression of what a narcissist would like like).
  • The fact that Reese Witherspoon's character kept running back to Wilson infuriated me. I can't stand stupid girls!! Women, it is time that we stop settling for any guy that comes along. Seriously, we deserve much more than that!
Pros
  •  Reese Witherspoon is a brilliant actress - although the role was a different one for her, she was splendid. And her blue eyes are stunning.
  • Paul Rudd's character was the cutest guy ever...awkward, terribly unlucky, and yet a true gentleman.
  • I went to see the movie at the discount theater, so I only paid $2 for my ticket. Hence, I was not annoyed that I paid full price to see it. :)
Well, that's all I've got on that one. On the next subject - my first day of third quarter!! This quarter we only have four classes - thank goodness!!! I'm hoping that this one will be slightly lighter. However, I found out last night that our first round of the moot court competition is in two weeks - YIKES!!! Maybe not so relaxed after all...


I have decided that I am going to absolutely LOVE my LAPP professor (though NOT in one of those weird "professor crush" ways - merely as a person). He did not assign any homework for the first day of class, and he sent us a nice email on Friday informing us that we merely needed to buy the book and show up for class. Just based on the wording, I could tell that I was going to like him - and I was right!!! He started class by telling us about himself, where he grew up, why he went to law school, etc. He probably spent a good 30 minutes of class on just introductory material. 


My FAVORITE part of class, however, was his "LAPP Exercise Chart." It is a new challenge that he is instituting this quarter. After telling us that exercise helps you think better (and yes, it does!!), he proceeded to outline the challenge. There are 8 weeks on the chart. We have to exercise at least five days a week, and there are certain minimum time/mileage requirements, depending on what you do. For my purposes, running requires 15 miles. Considering that my run on Saturday will be 12 miles, meeting his minimum will be a piece of cake. In fact, all I have to do is add one more day a week of something...probably 30 minutes of pilates with Denise Austin. :) And what, you may ask, is the incentive for finishing this 8-week challenge? A LAPP Exercise Nerd t-shirt (oh, and a "refreshed mind and healthy body!).


That t-shirt is mine! :)

So far, I have completed 5.35 miles of my running requirement for the week - and that was only yesterday's workout.

And now, finally, what you all have been waiting for - The GREEN MONSTER!!!

Beautiful...just beautiful

I have become completely addicted to a cooking blog written by a girl up in Canada called "Oh She Glows." She has the most amazing recipes, and takes great pictures of the cooking process!! I want to be her when I grow up (just with J.D. behind my name). :) Anyway, she has this drink called the "Green Monster" which she often drinks for breakfast. Here's the basic recipe:

1 cup milk
1 ripe banana (or any banana, actually)
2 Tbsp. nut butter (I like to use almond butter!)
1 Tbsp. flax seed
2 handfuls spinach leaves (or you can use frozen spinach, which makes the smoothie thicker!!)
Honestly, I just eyeball this one - when it looks green enough, I stop adding spinach. :)
Ice - if you don't use frozen spinach, to make it a little thicker

Add the ingredients one at a time, blending as you go along, and voila!!! You have your daily serving of a green vegetable. And yes, I will be serving these to my kids one day - I figure if I can't sell it as a "green drink," I'll just change the recipe so they can't tell that I've blended spinach into their fruit smoothie...bahahahaha. (You know you're an adult when you suddenly start fantasizing about how to torture your kids - YIKES!)

WAIT!!!!

I know that many of you are thoroughly grossed out by the fact that I am encouraging you to throw spinach into your blender. Trust me, I have gotten some teasing from my roommate, and a long pause on the phone from another friend. :) However, I promise - you cannot taste the spinach! If you don't trust me, try it first by adding spinach to your regular fruit smoothie.

OR...

You can go for the chocolate version (yes, chocolate-covered spinach - delectable!!!!). AnnaGrace and I made these as part of our lunch on Sunday. When we looked down in the cup of brown and saw little specks of spinach I said, "It's like dirt and grass!!!!" But, let me clarify, it did not taste like dirt and grass. Rather, it tasted like a chocolate banana smoothie! Man, I'm getting hungry just looking at it. :)

Forget those Oreo dirt cups - this is what my kids are getting. And yes, because it's so healthy, I'll give in and throw a gummy worm on top to make it more appealing. Or, maybe I'll put a gummy bear vitamin... :)

About to enjoy our grown-up "dirt cups"!!
Well, I believe this post has gotten ridiculously long. At the moment, I am off to invent my very own pumpkin smoothie!! Tomorrow's post may have the recipe (if I am successful), plus my favorite super bowl ads!! :)

1 comment:

  1. That was one of the best smoothies of my life! Hurray for grass and dirt! :)

    ReplyDelete