Tuesday, June 14, 2011

So Far From Home

I love big cities. I don't know that I will ever actually live in one - I want a yard and a garden too badly!! However, I love visiting cities. Metro systems, tall buildings, ethnic restaurants, sightseeing...ahhh, so wonderful!!!!!


We stopped on Sunday night in Cranford, New Jersey (isn't that such a cool name??). After a night of sleep that was not nearly long enough (still recovering from all the wedding festivities!!!), we headed off to Liberty State Park to try and catch views of Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Unfortunately, all the Statue of Liberty tickets were taken for today, so we weren't going to get to go up in it.


Once we got to the park, however, we decided to take the ferry out to Ellis and Liberty islands and back. We didn't get off, but it was cool to be able to get some close-ups of the Statue of Liberty. I can't imagine being welcomed to America by the Statue of Liberty after weeks at sea - how cool would that be?!?\





On the way back to our hotel, we stopped at a little deli for lunch. I decided to be adventurous and order a pastrami sandwich for lunch. It was TO DIE FOR!!!!! I will definitely be ordering/making lots of pastrami sandwiches in the near future! I also tried mazza ball (spelling?) soup. It was different, but I liked it!




I've spent the last hour or so enjoying the sights on the road up to Boston. The sky has been beautiful today - partly cloudy, and the clouds look so cool!!! I know, I'm easily entertained. :) But sometimes it's nice just to put in some music, stare out the window, and think (or not). However, the traveling is getting a little tiresome, and I will be glad to arrive at the hotel and be able to stretch!

My reading for this trip is "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's written from the perspective of a 9-year-old boy whose father was killed in 9/11. It's very different than anything I have ever read, but I am enjoying it so far. The book not only contains your typical chapter, but it also includes portions from diaries, letters, and pertinent illustrations.

I am currently sitting in the car listening to the running mix in my ipod and wishing I was out of the car and running down the road!! Despite my best intentions, I haven't been able to run all week, and I'm actually starting to  miss it! I think a visit to the hotel gym (at a minimum!) is in order tonight! I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the cooler temps up here - high of 76 degrees today!!!! I'm really dreading going back to the Texas heat on Thursday. Here's hoping I can switch my flight for a slightly later one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment