Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wednesday Blahs

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but today was a blah day.

  • Maybe because it's the middle of the week. 
  • Maybe it was the advising session which made me think about what is to come in the next two years of my life.
  • Maybe it's because the numb feeling I have had over the last two days is beginning to wear off.
Whatever the cause, it has made me wonder why I chose the legal profession. It's days like today that make me want to get married and stay at home raising children. I picture myself concocting amazing dishes, running my household like a Navy ship, and sneaking vegetables into my kids' smoothies. Surely that would be easier than law school, right??? ;)

I sat in our advising session today, thinking, "Gosh, this career is just so hard. Why didn't I pick an easier one?"

And then I remember...

I didn't pick this profession.

God directed me to it.

And then, this evening, as I did my quiet time, I read Psalm 23. Not because I picked it randomly, or on purpose, but because I'm working my way through the Psalms, and today's reading included it.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 

And that, my dear readers, was a balm to my soul. Although law school isn't quite a "shadow of death," it can often feel like it. And yet, I can rest in the fact that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, and that He will guide me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment