Thursday, March 3, 2011

From the Other Side

Well, for now, the moot court competition is over, and I can breathe easily, knowing that spring break is only 20 hours away!!!! We find out tonight who "breaks" into the outrounds (top 16 teams). Honestly, I won't be disappointed if we don't break (and I'm not expecting to do so) - mainly because it means the competition is completely over, and I don't have to think about it over spring break!! And yes, feel free to roll your eyes at that last comment. :)


Here are some observations from the "other side":

Remember two weeks again when I was terrified about getting up in front of people and speaking? Yeah, that person is gone. While I still get nervous, I have found that I actually enjoy the oral presentation part of the competition. It's waaay more fun that reading through 20 cases to find rules!! :)

Additionally, it's been a big confidence-booster. While it has been frustrating to get so little direction, after the class round I felt much more confident that I was headed in the right direction. Although I've definitely had some not-so-stellar moments, overall I am pleased with my performance. It's amazing how being faced with a challenge and then surviving changes your perspective. As I look back over the past 7 months, I am astounded by the things I have accomplished which looked impossible when I first got them. And now, add moot court to the list!!

And finally, even though there is not a cross-examination, answering questions from judges is just as fun! The best part is when you get to say, "Your Honor, I respectfully disagree..." and then explain your position. BEST FEELING EVER!!! :)

On Friday night, we went up against a good team, and had phenomenal judges. One of them won the competition in the fall! They asked super-difficult questions, but all of us were ready, and it made the round so much more interesting. It was my favorite round of the competition!! I have no idea who won, but honestly, I wouldn't bother me one iota if we lost both ballots on that one, because the other side would have deserved the win.

And now, for a change of subject - only one class stands between me and spring break!! I have decided to do tons of cooking next week. Here's hoping I don't gain 20 pounds in one week! :) The first item on my agenda is to create my very own french fry seasoning. I was inspired last week (with some prompting from AnnaGrace!) after trying the Southbound Fries at George's, a local restaurant. My goal is to create one sweet and one salty recipe...haven't really decided how I'm going to go about doing it, but I have ideas. And don't worry - I'll take tons of pictures of my experiments! Hopefully there won't be too many failures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment